Keith Construction has been a “Built Green” builder since 2009. While not all of our clients desire the designation, Keith Construction is focused on making our projects as “green” as possible with energy efficient options an important element of each and every renovation or new home that we build.
The “Built Green” program has four levels of achievement – Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum. Points are awarded based on the minimum Energuide rating with additional points selected from each of the eight other areas of the checklist to give a cumulative total.
Since 2009, we have had new homes rated as Built Green: 1 Bronze, 5 Silver, 2 Gold, 19 Platinum (the highest level)
A total of 27 homes have been certified to November 2015!
Learn more about Built Green rated homes.
We have been privileged to have Morris DiGiovanni, CEA of EnerSave Consulting Services write a letter of acclamation for our company and our efforts to create an energy efficiently product for the Okanagan market.
Energy Efficiency & Upgrade Options
Energy effiency through insulation, geothermal heating and cooling and window type
All grants are subject to change without notice
Geothermal Fast Facts:
- Geothermal heat pumps tap into the energy stored in the earth and are a renewable energy technology
- Installing a geothermal heating and cooling system can reduce green house gas emissions by two-thirds or more compared with conventional heating and cooling systems
- Heating and cooling costs can be reduced by 30% to 60%, providing a substantial return on investment
Air Source Heat Pumps:
- Air source heat pumps are very efficient using about 1/3 of the electricity of a forced-air furnace
- Used to both heat and cool the home
- Low energy, sustainable technology
- Can be added to supplement an existing furnace
Blow-in-blanket Insulation Fast Facts and Benefits:
- Blows easily into any configuration, fills the space completely which controls sound and reduces air infiltration in the wall cavity
- Lasts for the life of your home
- Contains no formaldehyde
- Will not support mold growth
- Highest installed R-Values
- Seamless installation, no gaps or voids
- Highest density, will not settle or shrink
- Superior Sound deadening
- Helps to qualify your home for an Energy Efficient Mortgage
Low-E Argon Windows Compared to Clear Glass Windows:
- Most homes built before the mid 1990’s have clear glass windows
- Low-E Argon Windows are now part of the 2012 BC Building Code.
- They keep the level of heat loss in the winter and heat gain in the summer to a minimum
- Low-E windows have a low emissivity coating and are argon gas filled
- In the winter, heat transfers from the indoors out. Clear glass loses 34 BTU/hr/sq ft while Low E windows only lose 17 to 20 BTU/hr/sq ft. which means you can lose up to double the amount of heat from your home with just clear class windows!
- In the summer, we gain heat from the outdoors. By reflecting the sun and heat, our heat gain can be reduced up to 65% by using Low-E windows
- Annual energy costs can decrease from 25 to 50% using the various forms of Low-E argon filled windows
- Visit www.cardinalcorp.com for more information and complete an energy analysis report on your home to see the potential savings of upgrading to Low-E windows
Dual Flush Toilets:
- Two-button actuator provides easy-to-use flushing options
- Dual force technology allows the choice of .8 gallon flush for liquid or light waste and 1.6 gallon flush for bulk or solid waste
- Savings of up to 24,000 gallons of water per year for the average family of 4
- Savings functionality that’s light on the environment without sacrificing performance